Thursday, 28 August 2014
Friday, 22 August 2014
Tuesday, 19 August 2014
So... little Luna loo has now been in the world for as long as she was all nice and protected inside me. She is pretty hardy and banging her head constantly! I can't protect her from doorframes and walls and she is very keen to be standing up as much as possible, holding on. She is crawling around under my feet right now and her inquisitiveness about the world knows absolutely no bounds! Once she has been in a room for ten minutes it resembles scenes akin to post hurricane Katrina footage, everything within reach is scattered, pulled over and turned upside down. She is mad about metal and has been found sucking on the buckles of my boots and the legs of the armchair. Even though she is super independent and not a needy baby at all, I am her personal climbing frame as you can see in these pictures and she likes to press her hands to her mouth and let out a series of Red Indian inspired noises - she really is so cool! I taught her to climb the stairs and she is an absolute pro at going up, not quite as good at going down but we are practising every day.
She has two teeth! But won't let me anywhere near them with a toothbrush!
SO. MUCH. LOVE.
And how cool is this fur coat all the way from my Auntie Dedi in California?
And how cool is this fur coat all the way from my Auntie Dedi in California?
Thursday, 24 July 2014
It is still 6 weeks away but there are so many things on my wish list atm!
1. Beautiful gold anatomic Bjørg necklace. Seriously though, everything from this designer... And sorry to be a geek but the website design is so beautiful. Why aren't all sites this beautiful? Oh yeah because I can't actually find the link for the necklace. Here instead.
2. Have loved the Pia Wallén blanket for too many winters now
3. I sound like a stuck record but EVERYTHING, or anything from Aesop
4. The Thea's ~ I keep coming back to them
5. The Kinfolk Table ~ Why don't I already own this? I am sure I have tried to buy it on numerous occasions
6. A subscription to Frankie magazine so I never miss a single one, a girl can dream
7. When we went to Copenhagen for my birthday last year the Airbnb flat we were staying in had this print and then I saw it again in Stilleben (the most beautiful art shop) but I didn't buy it. Stupid me. The orange is actually a lot more neon in real life. I love it. Trine Struwe ~ Feather Studies.
8. Ace & Jig, obsessed with this brands colours and prints and cuts is an understatement. Made by 2 New Yorkers, sometimes in India, I am in love with all or any.
9. The ever popular Hay boxes, is it possible that I am lusting after cardboard boxes? YES.
Monday, 21 July 2014
Enthusiasm is the word for her this month. What a total fidget she has become! She is interested in absolutely everything, never stops moving, grabbing, pulling herself up and reaching her arms to me to be picked up. Sometimes she lays her head on my shoulder when in my arms but for only a split second before she is pulling my hair and grabbing my face, laughing and then on to something else. This is a fun stage because she is sitting and when plonked down with her little friends they actually amuse themselves but it is a sign of whats ahead. Oh man are we ready?!
We recently acquired a car and on free days all I want to do in this beautiful weather is head out to the Sussex countryside to have picnics and go for walks. There is something so intrinsically linked between babies (maybe children) and nature. Both grow slowly and naturally and are pure to their core. I want to take her away from screens and distractions (I am always so easily distracted from her) and sit in the wide open calm of nature, in a place where there is beauty in every direction from the huge views across fields and farms, down to a finite perfectly formed blade of grass. Much of which ends up in Luna's mouth.
She also got a horrible cold this month and we had a few awful nights which lead to me sleeping on the floor in her room. During one of these she said mama into my chest, papa the next day, followed by baba and all sorts of other strange sounds as she now chats away in complete rubbish but with all the correct intonation. During the worst night she also managed to pull herself up into sitting and since then has almost mastered crawling, not to the point of whizzing about, she is mobile, but I can sense it is on the horizon as she has the basics down. I just think that she is the coolest little thing, sweet and joyful and finds happiness in so many things.
Her routine has improved a bit; wakes at 6.30/7 has a bottle, back to sleep at 9.30, sleeps after lunch 12.30-1.30/2, bottle at 3, dinner at 6, bath at 8, bottle 8.30 she is tired earlier no doubt due to the amount of energy exerted during her waking hours (is she definitely mine and Joe's child?!) and has stopped her afternoon nap. The week before she got ill she was sleeping through most nights but the cold has set her back and we haven't quite got back to that yet. Fingers crossed as last night she did but the night before she woke up a few times.
She is eating lots of brightly coloured things, tonight I made her a roast sweet potato and didn't puree it this time and she ate most of it with only the occasional expression of disgust. At the end of most meals she looks like a feral street child found amongst the bins. She has now eaten fish and lots of different fruit and veg, some ice cream (from her grandfather!) and is obsessed with ice lollies, lady after my own heart!
So that's her, now i just have to decide what I am doing with my life. Wide eyed look.
Oh and the dog, she loves the dog!!
Wednesday, 25 June 2014
My little Luna lu is suddenly not so little! This month she has changed so much. She kind of went out first and then got longer. She is absolutely scrumptious and soft and squidgy and beams at anyone who pays her attention - everyone comments on what a happy, smiley baby she is - we are just totally in love. She is sitting up on her own now like a little pro and the first stages of crawling are on the horizon although I am not encouraging it too much! Her hair has grown lots in the past month as we have been to France twice and I think it grows in the sunshine. Her eyes are still bright blue and I am afraid the hair is strawberry blonde. Sorry little lady that is my fault!
So I guess the main thing is food. Our most favourite way to wile away the afternoon is in the back yard sharing a peach, plum or apricot. She loves these tangy fruits and they are in season. She absolutely hates avocado still, I will persevere! She didn't much enjoy the lentil puree I gave her this evening either. She prefers fruit but actually did a good job with some French Legumes de jardin - carrot and potato mainly I think in France. In France they don't tart up the baby food with fruit they have ones with just veg. Ella's Kitchen is a favourite for a reason!
Boring bit - she usually wakes up about 5.30 and comes into our room where she sleeps until half seven, wakes up and has a bottle, then plays for a couple of hours and then back to sleep for 45 mins to an hour. She eats lunch at 12 which is THE messiest half an hour of both our lives, how does she get it on the back of her head, my face, in my hair, all over the table, the carpet, up her nose and in her thigh creases? I am trying to get her to then have a 2 hour nap at lunch but more often than not she wakes up about an hour in and then needs another kip a bit later. At 3 she has a bottle and then 6 is dinner which is another catastrophic mess. She baths about 8 and goes to sleep at 8.30. She wakes up a few times in the night usually but doesn't want anything, more often than not just because she has got herself in a weird position and needs to be put back lengthways in the cot (!).
She is babbling a bit now and I swear I have heard mamamama but maybe I just imagined it. She is a total fidget and as nosy as can be. I feel so excited for the next month. It is just getting better and better! Ah, love!
Sunday, 15 June 2014
Soo we have sped through from three to six months and all the above I could not have lived without.
1. She has only just started really interacting with her toys (meaning put them in her mouth and throw them on the floor) and she is already bored of most of them. She loved this Miffy rattle which was on my nappy cake at my baby shower - thanks Laura!
2. French Children Don't Throw Food - Pamela Druckerman. This book is brilllllliant. There has been a lot of discussion about whether to read guidance books, whether to take advice, if it is just better to tune it all out and listen to your intuition... Mmmmm. Anyway this is Pamela Druckerman who moved to Paris and brought up her three children there. It is autobiographical, which for a start means that it isn't preaching about right and wrong methods, she is as confused as the rest of us but she simply explains how different Anglophile parenting is to French parenting *no mother's guilt for one!*.
Also she is laugh-out-loud funny.
3. Luna slept in this from the moment we moved her into the cot at about 4 months. The design is awesome and it is so soft and gorgeous. I love Noe and Zoe, a Berlin based brand.
4. Ashton and Parsons is a homeopathic tincture for teething babies which really helped Luna when her gums were giving her gip. Not getting it on her cheek or up her nose was a challenge however.
5. When Luna went into her own room at 5 months we had to close her bedroom door because we were worried that Frankie the cat might get into her cot and like, sit on her face or something, so this gave me such peace of mind to know that she was at the right temperature and breathing! I know, prangy new parent.
6. & 7. When her teeth starting pushing up she got the most awful nappy rash, apparently from swallowing so much and it being very acidic. I tried so many different nappy rash creams and this was the only combination which worked > Water Wipes and Metanium - this is thick and yellow, stains everything and stinks but it works and if that means no bleeding little bum cheeks then that seems like a small price to pay.
8. If you don't know what this is maybe refrain from finding out. Luna got a cold in Cornwall on holiday, this made everything almost better because she could actually breathe again.
9. For those few months heading from Winter into Spring Luna lived in leggings; these ones from one of my favourite print designers Thief and Bandit are made from organic cotton and are all hand printed in Nova Scotia. So soft and gorgeous.
10. So finally Luna decided she liked being carted about. This was her chosen chariot. The Quinny, found it on gumtree, looked brand new for half the price, brilliant. It has 3 wheels, unlike a lot of prams and has inner tyres in the back wheels which means that it feels light and bounces over bumps, curbs and uneven ground beautifully. It is however ridiculously wide and I have accidentally taken out the Achilles tendon of numerous innocent bystanders. Oops.
I just turned her around so she is facing forward instead of at me, which she adores. Heart break!
Tuesday, 10 June 2014
Monday, 9 June 2014
Tuesday, 20 May 2014
My little Luna moon is half a year old and shines a little brighter every day. I can't believe it all really. I feel like I am going to blink and she will be 18. I never want this time in our lives to pass. The past 6 months have been the very best of my life and I am so grateful.
Soooo, Luna is no longer a new born. The intoxication of a little person who is brand new has gone. She is a proper squishy robust little cherub baby who is growing up super fast. Giggling and smiling her way towards toddler-dom. This past month she has really started rolling over, sitting up, reaching for everything and pushing it on the floor, including but not limited to mugs, cups, plates, her toys, her food and my phone. She has started wriggling a lot and is a nosy little lady. Her new absolute favourite thing is her door bouncer. Finally I have my arms to do a bit of work and she is blissfully happy bouncing for really long stretches of time. Good for both of us.
Baby bore stuff (for me to remember): She sleeps at about nine and wakes a few times in the night before starting the day snuggled up in our bed. Then goes back to sleep an hour or so into the day, wakes and has a play and then will need a couple of hours kip midday until about 5 or 6 when she has another hour. She then has a bath between 8-9 and falls asleep on our bed before one last feed and into her cot in her room.
Oh and purée; lots of purée and a few sticks of broccoli, carrot and biscuit.
For me the adrenaline from having a baby has finally worn off and the cortisol has been wearing me down this past month. It isn't good for your bones or your immune system and I started feeling pretty run down and frazzled. I feel like the high has subsided. The reality that there is life after having a baby is slowly dawning. It isn't a bad thing. Yoga, an intense course of Floradix and this amazing sunshine has definitely brought me back up and although I'm tired I'm still so happy.
Saturday, 3 May 2014
Monday, 28 April 2014
This is so late! We just got back from holiday. Luna loved all the time we spent outside in Cornwall and her hair grew loads in the sunshine! She got to hang out with her cousins and smiled and grinned her way through the meeting of a lot of relatives. She is such a good natured baby. I have been reading the baby book my Mum did for me and it says that I was just like this, always smiling and laughing. Hopefully she won't take after my nature at 16 years old too ;)
I have been thinking a lot about life and death and motherhood since the passing of Peaches Geldof and another Mother close to my family. How can you cope without your Mother in the world? What a horrific tragedy when a Mother and child are separated. I was thinking about this a lot whilst driving above the speed limit back from Cornwall! My life is different now because there is a reason for me to be alive other than my own desire to live. Now someone needs me to look after them. How awful that Peaches' boys won't know her, won't even remember her and she adored them. I followed her on instagram and saw pictures of those boys everyday and the love she had for them was so obvious and clear. She lived for them and had found her purpose in life so why did she die? I can't believe that it was by choice. It's a tragedy and I can't imagine it ever not being a tragedy when this Mother / child link is broken, especially but not always at their age. Death is so final, so unfair. It has been good for me in the sense that it makes me want to live, really live and be present in every moment and to enjoy life, to look on the bright side, to appreciate what I have and focus on what I want, positively and feel real joy as deeply and as often as possible. But it has also been a wake up call - I have to cross the road at the traffic lights! I can't drive at 100MPH on the motorway, I am always on duty and I have to look after my health. It wouldn't be fair to deny Luna of my existence. It's isn't really about me.
Anyway sorry heavy stuff but it's been on my mind and it's good to write it down.
In other news Luna has learnt to roll over from front to back now as well as the other way, seems to want to stand the whole time, loves splashing like a crazy person in the bath, has sucked on a cucumber (ooh la la) a cougette, eaten some mashed up avocado and banana (didn't go down well, wretched, gagged and pushed it out with her tongue) some pureed carrot and potato (went down better!) and is now going to bed about 9 and sleeping until 5.30/6 more often than not. Although we had a pretty bad sleep regression just after 4 months when she was waking up at night all the time. This lasted about 2 weeks and we were so grateful when it went back to normal. Sleep deprivation is definitely a form of torture!! She weighed 18.3lbs last time I weighed her. Little chubster.
Oh, these are such happy days!
Monday, 14 April 2014
These things are all so familiar to me because I used them everyday for the past three months.
Luna is out of her moses basket and into her cot in her own room now. Sob and rejoice simultaneously!
1. This Little Hip Squeaks blanket came everywhere with us. We used it as a swaddle, as a blanket, as a mopper upper. Gorgeous print and so soft.
2. Ahh Sophie, who doesn't have a Sophie, she has started sucking this hell for leather since her gums began hurting.
3. The Baby Bjorn bouncer allowed me bits of time with free arms and she was blissfully happy in it.
4. Ewan the dream sheep, this is an instant sleep association for Luna. (The front right leg plays a song which for ever more will remind me of settling her to sleep)
5. I wanted her close to me to begin with and she never really took to the buggy bassinet so I carried her most places to start with. The Ergo is the only carrier which has been ok'd by the Hip Dysplasia Association and it's so comfortable to carry little ones in. Joe also carried her so this was great.
6. Miffy bath bubbles, made our baths so much fun.
7. This DVD is a must and I wish that I had watched it before she arrived. He is a nutter but the 5 S's work!
8. Ahh her Moses basket with a little rocker stand. Everytime she snuffled at night I would gently rock her back to sleep.
9. Munchkin nappy pail, perfect for keeping odours contained.
10. The Kanken, perfect nappy bag size wise and not too girly if Joe took her out. The central clip on the handles also now does up over the pram handle, which is genius.
Wednesday, 26 March 2014
Monday, 24 March 2014
Wednesday, 19 March 2014
This little monkey is now 4 months old! This month she has:
Learnt to suck her thumb a bit, does it one week not the next
Still loves her bath, she is a true water baby
She is getting a bit interested in toys. Loves the black and white ones mainly.
Is the ONLY person in the world who truly loves my singing. I am sure she will grow out of this.
I am pretty sure that she is left handed
Is having 3 naps a day at home, soon after she wakes, an hour at lunch and one about 5/6 (boring but I want to remember).
OH, and she laughed! On February 28th. It was the best thing in the whole world.
I on the other hand have developed A LOT of one handed skills; I can hold her whilst eating cereal, sterilizing bottles, making coffee, checking instagram and doing my make up pretty much all at the same time.