Friday, 27 February 2015
Tuesday, 17 February 2015
At this time of the year I often get people who are organising hen do's or weekends away asking me for my Brighton tips so I thought that I would put together a little guide of where to eat and where to shop. Head over to Liv Purvis on where to stay as that isn't my speciality living here and everything ;)
WHERE TO EAT
Riddle & Finns. Go for: Oysters and champagne. Stay for: Romantic, candlelit conversations and chocolate brownies.
Silo. Go for: Zero waste composted and fermented food using local ingredients and lots of interesting/super healthy drinks. Stay for: Great coffee and lovely cake in minimally decorated surroundings.
The Flour Pot Bakery. Go for: Nordic themed interiors; all white and marble and copper piping not to mention beautifully on site baked bread, cakes and coffee. Stay for: A mean stew in the winter months, alfresco dining and people watching in the summer months.
Gelato Gusto. Go for: The best ice cream you have ever tasted, the strawberry cheesecake has almost an entire cheesecake in it. Stay for: Daring flavours such as bacon and maple syrup or balsamic and strawberry.
Plateau. Go for: A romantic sharing platter with fantastic wine. Stay for: Hours being thoroughly spoilt by the efficient and lovely service, oh and the sharing platter dessert is something very special.
Alfresco's. Go for: The sea view. Stay for: The hot chocolate in winter and a 'smiling calzone' on the terrace in the summer. It's bigger than your head.
42 Juice. Go for: Cold pressed smoothies and juices. Stay for: The incredible cashew or almond nut mylks.
Marmalade. Go for: Ottolenghi style salads and beautiful interiors. Stay for: Enormous chocolate and beetroot cake.
WHERE TO SHOP
Edited. Stocks: Ferm Living and Hay ~ never have I lusted over trays and notepads so passionately before. Surprises you with: Neon lights and dreamy interior must haves.
Snooper's Paradise. Stocks: Insane selection of anything you could think of from mid century furniture to bowler hats and vintage wedding dresses. Surprises you with: Photobooth fun; take in army officer hats and elaborate masks with you to make some printed memories.
Magazine Brighton. Stocks: Every super trendy arty magazine you can possibly imagine and many you have never imagined. Surprises you with: Lovely chats with the owner, whose dream it has been for 30 years to open such a shop.
Peggs & Sons: Stocks: A curated selection of apparel for the modern man such as A.P.C. and Nudie Jeans. Surprises you with: Salvaged American denim and new Japanese brands.
Our Daily Edit. Stocks: Super cool brands such as Swedish Sandqvist and Danish brand Won Hundred. Surprises you with: Must have lip balm Kiyoko.
Dowse. Stocks: Popular prints, gorgeous jewellery and Frankie magazine. Surprises you with: Danish ceramics and modular shelving, you can't resist.
Posh Totty: Stocks: Beautiful hand engraved jewellery at no extra costs. Think geometric gold plated necklace pendants and beautiful stacking rings. Surprises you with: A lovely curated collection of homewards; candle stick holders, cool monochrome tea towels and wire baskets.
Sandro/Maje. Stocks: Super cool French girl clothing; skinny jeans, striped dresses and tartan dream jackets. Surprises you with: The price! Sandro is the slightly edgier of the two but there is something for any occasion between the two shops if you have money to spend.
Tuesday, 10 February 2015
Oh sweet Spring, are you ever going to bless us with your cherry blossom, light evenings and balmy sunshine? In the meantime I will dream about my summer holiday in June, light candles and smell completely epic in Santal 33.
1. The Equilateral Soap
2. Oh Acne, every season you are perfect
3. THE top thing on my wishlist at the moment after I doused myself in Liberty over Christmas and couldn't stop sniffing my jacket for days after
4. Kevin Murphy makes products all from plant based and deliciously smelling natural products. I have been lusting after this since my hairdresser washed my hair in KM products and told me about the dry shampoo. An instant backcomb, yes please.
5. Ah Isabel Marant, if I could have a fashion designer drip in my arm she would be my gal
6. Hopscotch make the scrummiest soy candles with hours of burn time. They are all hand poured in London and are a very reasonable price. This one is 'Fresh' and smells of lemon and basil. Mmm.
7. Nikki Stark makes the most beautiful simple stacking rings, I recently bought a silver one with a blue jewel but the gold is just so beautiful
8. Emmeline one piece, I have until June to prepare for getting into you! Ahh